Virginia Beach native commands U.S. Navy Helicopter Squadron in Norfolk

By Senior Chief Mass Communication Specialist John Osborne, Navy Office of Community Outreach

NORFOLK, Va. - Cmdr. Adam Moffit, a native of Virginia Beach, Virginia, serves the U.S. Navy as commanding officer of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 5.
Photo by Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Mark Pena,
Navy Public Affairs Support Element East


Moffit graduated from Kempsville High School in 2002 and the U.S. Naval Academy with a degree in political science in 2006. Additionally, Moffit earned a master’s degree in defense strategic studies from the U.S. Naval War College in 2020.

The skills and values needed to succeed in the Navy are similar to those found in Virginia Beach.

“I learned a sense of service and discipline from playing sports during school,” Moffit said. "However, the most important lesson I learned is about attitude and staying positive. This has served me well in the Navy, especially when times have gotten tough."

Moffit joined the Navy 19 years ago. Today, Moffit serves as the commanding officer of HSC-5.

“I joined the Navy because, after 9/11, I wanted to serve my country and I thought it would be fun,” Moffit said. "My father was also in the Navy as an aviator and I loved following in his footsteps."

Members of HSC-5 fly and maintain the MH-60S Knighthawk helicopter within Carrier Air Wing SEVEN (CVW-7). The MH-60S's primary missions are Search and Rescue, Naval Special Warfare Support and Anti-Surface Warfare. Additional missions include logistic support, vertical replenishment, medical evacuation, non-combatant evacuation operations and maritime interdiction operations. In short, we "Rescue, Protect and Deliver!"

The U.S. Navy is celebrating its 250th birthday this year.

According to Navy officials, “America is a maritime nation and for 250 years, America’s Warfighting Navy has sailed the globe in defense of freedom.”

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

Moffit has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.

“My proudest accomplishment has been serving as a commanding officer and taking care of our Nightdipper team,” Moffit said. "In an HSC, when we are deployed, the tasking is tough, but when we are home, it is even tougher. We must create and protect opportunities for our sailors to reconnect with their families and friends when we are home. Our approach toward resilience is about working hard when we are tasked, but then taking time off to reflect and recover so that you are stronger when you move to the next phase of training or operations."

Moffit serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation's prosperity and security.

“I joined the Navy to serve and I stayed in it to fly, but now I love taking care of people,” Moffit said. "I love helping sailors become the best version of themselves and that is why I stay. I want to keep serving and seize any leadership opportunity I am afforded. Most importantly, I want to keep supporting my sailors and prioritizing my family.”

Moffit is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“I want to thank my wife, Mallory, and our five children for supporting me and making my service in the Navy a family vocation,” Moffit added. "They understand my job is important and necessary, and they understand the sacrifice they have to make for me to do it. I also want to thank my parents for their love and support." 

Post a Comment

0 Comments